Sunday, October 28, 2012

My new home base

Adapting to Arizona has been much easier and quicker than I anticipated.  Having visited Percy's a few times over the past 6 years helped, getting small doses of the weather and terrain plus the indoctrination ("It's DRY heat, it feels cooler than the thermometer says, honest!) - thanks, Kathy and Larry!

It took a bit of looking over several weeks to find my new home.  I'm living in an apartment complex (146 units), which is something I never dreamed I would do.  I'm a nester at heart, but seemed to have become something of a nomad the past 6 years.  Takes some mental adjusting, courage in hand, and willingness to "bloom where you're planted". 

Buckeye was established in 1888; elevation 672'; edge of Sonoran Desert; current population 37, 500 or so.  Carrie lives about 15 minutes away, in "upper Buckeye", just off I-10, where there big housing developments and shopping centers.  So the population is really spread out, with big pockets of farmland inbetween.

I think one of the reasons I'm so comfortable here is living in a farming area again, in a small town environment.  There is something about the rhythm of crops and watching the growth to harvest that is soothing and reassuring.  I grew up with dairy farms in Tillamook, enjoyed the many huge farms with dairy, corn, wheat and other grains  in Wisconsin, and now am learning about cotton and sorghum!

So here's a quick tour of my new home.  It's called Cholla Ranch Apartments  (Cho - ya), located in "old town"  or "lower" Buckeye.

My apartment is on the left, ground floor.  The evening sun is reflecting off the patio door and my bedroom window.  It's a 2 bedroom 2 bath unit.  More room than I need, but it's what was available - and now I'm spoiled!

Look across the way from my patio, there is a Blue Palo Verde tree.
There are two Desert Willow trees by the patio, which are super for bird and butterfly watching.  Also provides filtered shade, very welcome in the afternoon, with a south-facing patio.  I have plans for some plant pots on the patio - herbs and a tomato!
One of the changes I am enjoying is living a much simpler life.  Less "things", less clutter around me.  I've let go of literally a ton of books and many other items.  It feels good, a weight off my shoulders and mind.

This view is of my living room.  On the other side is a long table and all my art supplies - the living room is actually my art studio now!


Hall art - I'm finally using mostly my own art for decor.  It feels good to have it out where I can "connect" again.
Guest bathroom.   Photo art by Anne Kizerian.
The second bedroom is morphing into a guest/sitting room - essentially becoming the "living" room.  I have free cable, but no TV, and don't think I'll probably get one.  I'm liking the quiet energy of just my art, music and meditation time.

I love having this quilt where I can see it all the time.  It was made for me by  loving friends in Dr. Kay's office, a friendship/memorial quilt when Dennis died.  Sometimes I go sit on the daybed/couch just to look at it!

 I found this dining set with simple clean lines suited my idea of "less is more". 

I have always perferred art on my kitchn walls, to having more cabinets.  So this open end wall is perfect, I love having the cardinal art up where I can enjoy them again.  No microwave or toaster.  Just simple whole natural and mostly raw foods.  I am feeling healthier and more energetic every day.  Love my kitchen!

I am happy here.  I am so blessed.  And so grateful.

Having the grandpunks so close is pure icing on the cake!!

No comments:

Post a Comment